Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Vow. . .

I have been thinking alot about all the stress in my life and the effects it has on my children, their health, me, my health, Scott, and my relationship with God. I have read (according to Stephen Covey) that it takes 21 days to make (or break) a habit. So I have decided that starting tommorow I am going to try these things daily, even if I have to make myself a checklist that I fill out every day. So here we go ladies (in total random order):

I vow to ask myself twice every time I put something in my shopping cart, swipe my debit card, write a check, or pull through a drive thru (like McDonald's for my Mocha) if I really need to spend that money? Is it in my budget? Could something else be bought with this money? So yes if you see me at the grocery store I may open the milk case twice and talk to myself before putting the jug in the cart. Or you may see me wait in the drive up line at McDonalds and then pull back out just before ordering. I haven't lost my mind girls, I have just decided I don't need it after all.

I vow to make every bite count. Does this mean that I will never splurge? Nope it will just mean that it will be what I am really craving instead of what is handy. Who knows maybe by the time I get to what I really want the first vow will kick in and I won't want it anymore.

I vow to balance my checkbook and pay my bills weekly on Saturday morning. I know as a former banker I would be ashamed of me, but I never balance my checkbook. I just go with the flow (or lack of flow) of money. Crazy I know.

I vow to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily. Even if I have to walk on the treadmill at 10:00. I know this isn't the best time to exercise but maybe the next day I will get it done sooner.

I vow to pray with my children every night before they go to bed. And pray myself before I go to bed, even if I have to kneel at my bed to make myself do it. I pray alot - but not consistently. You know those Christian's that pray when they need something, I am one of those, gotta work on that.

I vow to ask my husband and daughter (Jack's a little young still) if there is anything I can do for them. I think as a society we have stopped helping others so I want to be a good example to my children and show them that Mommy helps others.

Oh the list could go on and on but I feel this is enough for what I have going on in my life right now. When I look over my list it seems that all of these issues are related to one or two things: self-control and choices. Day 1 starts tommorow, I will keep you guys posted, and ask me about it from time to time, keep me accountable.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Sis!!! I've decided to tape up some notes on the refrigerator and pantry to remind myself of my weight loss goal to see if that helps me when I go to look for something to eat. Hopefully that will help me, and your right about the exercise thing too.

    ReplyDelete