Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stay at Home Parents? Seriously?

So let me start this post out telling you guys how much I love my job! Seriously! Yes there are days when I want to shake all the people that seem to come into the ER for pain medicine, but my heart instantly softens because a member of my family is dealing with drug issues. So I even use those patients to learn from. Anyway, I love my job! I love all the people I work with, and I have only cried on the way home once! My boss is great, she is very family oriented, she has three boys herself so I am sure she understands. Anyway, after we got home from Florida and I got my first "real" paycheck we started sitting down with the budget. I knew we were paying a ridiculous amount for daycare (to the tune of $170 a week), but wasn't sure how the schedule would work with my job so I wanted to wait before I made any major changes. Naturally, because I love my children, if I was off they stayed home with me. After all I have missed so much with them the last three years. And suprisingly Scott has started keeping them home with him when I am at work (answered prayer her folks!). I think he enjoys having his little fishing buddy around.

So this issue of daycare was weighing very heavily on my heart. I knew it was insane, I knew our money could be much better spent elsewhere, and who else is better to raise their own kids than their own parents - duh! So I approached my niece about watching the kids. I think for the month of July and first part of August there were 6 days when Scott and I would both be at work. She agreed and this is how I we became "Stay at Home Parents".

Now there have been challenges. Remember when you were a teenager, life was so carefree. No biggie if I call off a day, right? Huge panic set in for me because I could not find anyone. I actually was able to switch the days I worked (here's that good boss). And I twisted Miss Cheryl's arm and she is gonna keep the kids every once in a while for a few hours (occasionally I have to go into work and Scott is heading home from work so there is a small gap).

The kids are so funny, every once in a while they will look at me and I can see it in their little eyes, they are thinking why is Mom here. I am having a hard time not being an absolute bum now, but I am working on that too.

God is good ladies!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Great news about your boss and great job environment. It is so important to love what you do and where you do it and who you do it with! Sounds like you've found a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YEAH, you really had to twist my arm. I love those kids and am happy to help!! I am so glad that you and Scott get to spend so much more time with them now, I know it makes the last few years worth it. They are so lucky to have you guys. I can't wait to get my Jacker fill, and he will even get Justin time in for a couple of hours on the mornings that he comes! Works out wonderful for us all!!

    ReplyDelete