Thursday, October 22, 2009

So Proud

Wednesday we had our Parent/Teacher Conference for Hannah with Mrs. Conway and Mrs. Stack. I was soooooo nervous going in. You see, I am one of those moms who wants my child to excel in everything she does and have had a hard time realizing that doesn't always happen. Don't get me wrong, Hannah is a very smart little girl, but she definately has some focusing issues and has a hard time sitting still. She had never really shown a huge interest in reading, getting through her letters last year was a constant battle. I think deep down inside it makes me feel like at some point I failed her, at some crucial developmental phase I didn't teach her how to sit still or didn't instill in her the desire to learn/read. So here I go, by myself, to her conference, expecting the worst. (I am sure you see where this is going). Mrs. Conway had her stuff in a neat little stack but all I could focus on was this one page sticking out that had in big red writing - 100% Wonderful! Yep, she had done so well on her math assessment. I was not surprised on that one, she has always favored math/science stuff like me. Then Mrs. Stack started telling me how disappointed she was gonna be to lose Hannah in December because she was doing so well in Reading Recovery that she would no longer need that extra attention. Mrs. Conway then started talking about how good it was to see Hannah going from the lower end of the class on reading to one of the best readers in the class. It was just like one of those Sylvan commercials. I don't know how I didn't break down right then and there but I didn't. Mrs. Conway even gave her a good mark for behavior. This is a huge accomplishment. So then I stuck around to go with Hannah to her reading class and it was amazing. She is reading and figuring out crazy words. This was the good news I needed to happen this week. This was God's gift to me this week that definately lifted my spirits and made me realize that with all of the craziness I have in my life right now we are gonna make it and we are gonna be just fine. And I truly attribute all of this to my renewed devotion to prayer and God. I don't know why, but over the last two months I have really felt drawn to him, like I needed him more than ever and have really prayed alot about me and my family. This is the answered prayer I have needed.
Lord, Thank you for this blessing. Thank you for reminding me how wonderful my little princess is. Please continue to show me how to be a good mother for my children and how to be an example of a humble, prayerful christian mom. Amen

3 comments: