Thursday, February 24, 2011

God Does Answer Prayer

Remember my little post about my awesome day from last week?  Well here is the rest of the story. . .

As you all may know I have been very torn about my new career.  I love being a nurse, but I do not love the schedule that goes along with working in an Emergency Room.  I have had to work many holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.  Because of my hubbies crazy work schedule it has been really hard on me to have a crazy schedule as well.  I don't like having to drag my kiddos out at 6:00 am, or shuttle them between family members on the weekend, or not being able to go to Hannah's school stuff cause I have to work.  I often times over the last 9 months have regretted even going to RN school, I could have just stayed put where I was at Dr. Cunningham's office and been perfectly content.  But because of things in my past I wanted a career, I wanted to be able to stand on my own two feet and show my kids (daughter especially) that women shouldn't have to depend on a man for income, you can be self sufficient and work for yourself. And truly I am glad I did it, and finished it, cause no one can ever take that RN away from me. But I had gotten very bitter about my job, I resented every weekend I worked and was spittin' mad when I got scheduled for Christmas Day.  I don't know how many times I complained/whined about being the only nurse with kids under the age of 10, why did I have to work?  I even swore (bad I know) that when the roles are reversed and I am the nurse with seniority I will work for the new nurse with babies at home on Christmas morning.  After Christmas came and went I became acutely aware of how cranky I had gotten over the situation, so I put my bitterness aside and begged the Lord for some peace about the situation.  I prayed daily that He would show me what was best for my family and that the opportunity would present itself at the right time.  I also had a few prayer warriors praying for me. 

So a few months pass by, I am feeling much better about the situation, trying to focus on getting ready for the baby, and planning on enjoying my summer home with all 3 kids.  February 11th will be a day long ingrained into my head and heart as the day I had a prayer answered.  I checked the mail that day and we had gotten a complementary copy of the St. James Press.  We don't subscribe but they do randomly send us one.  In the paper for that week was a little box that I know was black and white, but to me it had a Neon flashing sign on it.  The box contained a help wanted ad for a school nurse position.  Immediately I went online and filled out the application.  The following Monday I bumped into the Assistant Superintendent, Principal and Vice Principal and let them know about my interest in the position.  I became a little disheartened at that point, you see the school districts are being hit hard with the economy so they are having to make tough decisions.  The district had decided that since they already had an RN at the Middle School they plan to replace the current nurse with an LPN.  But I stuck with it and did earn an interview. 

The interview was amazing, I seriously left there feeling like I could not have said anything differently and had that feeling that we were all on the same page.  This Tuesday I got a call from the Superintendent that she wanted me to come in and meet with her.  She didn't really say if it was another interview or an offer, so I got geared up for a second interview.  Well, much to my surprise and pure joy she called me in to offer me the job.  There is a slight downer, I will be taking a HUGE cut in pay, but the benefits to my children far outweigh the loss of income.  And it is temporary, when the other nurse retires I will be able to go on the teacher salary schedule and that is planned to happen in the next few years.  And it is forcing us to get on a budget, stick to it, and possibly even get back on track with our Total Money Makeover.  AND I WILL GET TO BE PRESENT IN MY CHILDREN'S SCHOOL LIFE. 

So, there you have it, my wonderful answered prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment