Sunday, May 9, 2010

Jackson's Story

So now that everyone has been traumatized with Hannah's Story, I thought I would share Jackson's. Again, Scott and I decided it was time to have another baby and all the powers that be agreed and we got pregnant in the first month or so with a due date of April 10, 2007. At the time of this pregnancy I worked with my Ob/Gyn so I had her review my records from Hannah's birth. I was very torn at first between trying a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesearean) or just choosing to have a repeat cesearean. Dr. C is very much an advocate of VBAC so I was fully prepared for her to say I should try it, but she didn't. She said after reading my delivery notes she would recommend a repeat c-section. For a few reasons, I went over my due date, alot and Hannah was a pretty big baby and second babies don't usually get alot smaller. In addition to the fact that when you have had a prior c-section you really can't be induced, the pitocin is too strong for a uterus with a scar. So I agreed, didn't really want to be traumatized again. So it was decided that at 39 weeks we would have a c-section again. This pregnancy was totally uncomplicated, absolutely no blood pressure problems. But there was the anxiety. I was so nervous from about 30 weeks on. I dunno if it is the fact that I worked for an ob/gyn and knew what could go wrong or if it was just normal second time around fears. Anyway, the day arrived. We had to be there at 5:45. My dad and step-mom arrived at the same time to entertain big sis Hannah. I was prepped with the usual IV and monitored. Now, here is the freaky part: I was contracting. I kinda thought I was but not 100% sure and the nurse who took care of me with Hannah very quietly came in and said "Jaimee do you realize you are contracting?" I told her I was. So for a brief moment I wondered, did I make the wrong choice? We proceeded with the delivery as planned and I am so glad I did, Mr. Jackson was even bigger than Hannah and was three weeks earlier than her. Whew! So, this c-section was so different, I was wide awake, remembered everything and got to hold my little man as soon as I got back to my room. I had some nausea, in fact I remember fighting puke begging someone to take him so I didn't puke on him. Anyway, by that evening I was eating and walking the halls. The next evening I went home. It was amazing, not the way God intended delivery, but much better than the first.

Facts:
Due Date: April 10, 2007
Delivery Date: April 3, 2007
Stats: 9 lbs 14.6 oz, 21.5 in

I chose not to breastfeed Jackson. Reasons I justified this were: it didn't work with Hannah, the nurses (at that time) were not supportive with Hannah, Scott wasn't 100% for it, and I didn't want to fail another baby (yes hormones working here). I wish I would have because my milk did come in and I wanted nothing more than to get it out, but that was about day 4 of formula so I toughed it out AND Jackson had horrible colic and milk allergies/sensitivity and we ended up being on the most expensive formula. Lesson learned, if and when I have another baby I will be breastfeeding. period.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! So glad this one went much smoother ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! I am relieved to hear your story was more pleasant the second time! I think I will write my birthing story this week, too.

    ReplyDelete